Saturday, January 1, 2011

How to Build an Aquarium

Recently I've started to enjoy seeing plants swaying in the current fish pond and a little colorful around happy. My kids love it too. I think we caught the bug when we visited the aquarium at Sea World in San Antonio, TX. I really like watching plants and fish with an adult beverage in my hand in my favorite chair, build your aqurium with the right steps.

So I decided to build an aquarium that will grow plants to live and set it as the center-spring for our living room. Being cheap, I do not want to spend more than $ 300. Is this even possible?

Being me, I research like crazy before starting. Here are the steps I went through if you want to try this yourself.

1. STEP 1: Buy aquarium
2. STEP 2: Get a stand
3. STEP 3: Get the lights
4. STEP 4: Install ground
5. STEP 5: Install and piping decorations
6. STEP 6: Install plants
7. Cycle (in progress)
8. Project Cost

STEP 1: Buy an aquarium. You can buy fancy-schmancy aquarium is made from all kinds of luxurious ingredients and good shape. I bought a rectangular glass from a local pet store, Amazonia. It's too expensive about $ 30 (it was around 30%). Should I go to Petco and buy one of them.

For me, I want to stick to something that is very standard. So I have a 55 gallon tank that is 1 foot x 4 feet. I think getting something with the dimensions of such a standard would help. I was right, especially when I go to build fixure light to it.
cleaned with a strong mixture of bleach and remove all the extra silicon on glass panels.

STEP 2: Get a stand. At the local petstore, they want $ 150 for the height of bad stand, nor complete, and made of 2x4s. I want my stand to position the tank so that my children could stand in the aquarium and staring directly into the center (so they can get lost look into it). I decided to create their own.

The team that I lent my friend DeWalt Biscuit Joiner and good life. I made a basic sketch and shade on paper and go to work. Here's the finished product drying.
go for rustic furniture / look unfinished to match our other pieces in the living room. To achieve this, I use standard 2x4s from Lowes, their squares, are thrown from a sharp angle with coarse sandpaper, and trying to not be a perfectionist (this perfect beautiful countryside.) I do not sand when sheets are made.

For the hood, I took the same approach. But it was made from 5 / 8 "pine.

I finished with Minwax, 235 Cherry oil stain. Then I rub your hands with Minwax Finishing Wax. This gives a nice look and feel (I pet my wood furniture ...).
These costs stand me: $ 67.19

STEP 3: Get the lights. I decided that I need 160 Watts of light based on the rule of 2-3 Watts per gallon. So I went to Amazon and they want $ 150 for a plastic hood that will supply 80 Watts. They say to get the 160 Watts that will set back about $ 250. "No way!" I thought. This is just a simple neon bulb. So I went to Home Depot, but 2 equipment for $ 8.99 (each) and put them into the hood of the car.

fluorescent lamps usually do not remove any heat because they are very efficient. But the aquarium lights do spend a lot of heat. And ballasts with cheapies $ 8.99 will not support two 40W lamps (it will only deal with two 20W bulbs). So I bought two new ballasts and installed them on the outside hood in the rear. In this way, they stay nice and cool.

For lights, I see prices in Amazonia is about $ 20 per bulb. And I need four. So I go back to Lowes and get their $ 9.00 40W aquarium lights. I'd rather see more natural sun but a little orange light is not too bad.

The total cost of the hood is part of the cost of standing. Bulbs cost $ 36.

STEP 4: Install the ground. I decided to put sand-gravel criticized (# 3) as the main cover. So I started with the section around the edge of the tank.
Then I bought some aquarium called Flourite land (not mineral) in a local pet stor
e. I put it into the tank around the gravel.
Next I covered the soil with decorative gravel.

STEP 5: Install decor. I bought some nice-looking rocks near the work and decided to boil it.
I do this to kill an additional creature. Plus I thought it would be fun to try to convince Alex (now 3-1/2 years old) that we have a rock for dinner and I boil them to soften them.

Then I placed them in the tank.
Next I put the water in. I add the water slowly using a siphon so as not to disturb the gravel.
Water a bit cloudy for several days. But I plan to set aside water for 3 days before planting so that will have the opportunity to clear.

Now the tank has about six inches of water in it.
Next plumbing. I decided to filter Eheim Classic 2313. I chose this one because

1. fits in the cupboard under the tank
2. it's really quiet - forever
3. need to be changed every six months
4. I can hide all the tubes from curious little fingers
5. It would change the 55 gal tank in about 1 hour. This is good for plants.
6. considered as the main filter for beginners and is said to run for 20 years

Now, pretty boy-my filter costs $ 80 on Amazon.com. This goes for about $ 120 in local stores.

I also buy a CO2 system. The idea behind this is that plants need CO2 and light to perform photosynthesis. So adding CO2 to the water seems like a good idea. But unfortunately, too much CO2 toxic to fish. But I decided I'd rather plant life of the fish, so you go. I have a yeast / plant fermentation (fermentation remember that emit CO2 as a byproduct). Because CO2 is not easy to disolve in water (without cafeine), I got a little reactor. This work is a little work to keep the CO2 bubbles in contact with water as long as possible by making long road trips.
install all these pipes and conventiently hide in a corner. Here's the layout.

STEP 6: Install plants. Now it's time to plant. I bought "Descriptive Plant Package (40-75 Gallons!)" Kit from www.freshwateraquariumplants.com. The owner made a mistake and one day quote send orders and I was quite disappointed (can not wait for the planting weekend without the kids). But he spoke with me and make good on mistakes. Plus a large crop. I highly recommend buying from him. His package includes a description of each plant how to plant, how to care for each, and layout suggestions. I have a great time planting. It's almost as fun as planting outside. See my tutorial on the landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment